Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Climate Cover-Up

 Recently I read the Climate Cover-Up by James Hoggan, and found the book to be a difficult read. Hoggan, who is a lawyer and public relations practitioner starts off the book by talking about how he came into the climate change conversation and discusses the founding of his blog DeSmogBlog. Hoggan discusses how companies and goverment entities have tried to "cover-up" that climate change was happening by using actual scientist who denied it in written reports.
 Though the things Hoggan mentioned in his book may have been true, I found it hard to accept the things he said. Hoggan spent a lot of his time in the book "name dropping" and not really explaining why or how these mentioned were relevant to the supposed cover up. I was also bothered by the fact that his book was very one-sided and unbalanced. I felt that Hoggan should have told a complete story or presented more detailed information.
 Though I am not denying that climate change is a real issue nor that their are people who deny climate change is happening, I would have just appreciated a more rounded view from Hoggan. So I suggest that you read the book for your self to create your own opinion.

1 comment:

  1. James Hoggan in "Climate Cover up" informed me in various ways, however i can see the point that you are making. I would like to say that Hoggan's book was very beneficial and gave the reader insight on what’s going on with the issue surrounding climate change, but i agree 100 percent with you that Hoggan does not focus on the topic at hand "Climate change." We as uninformed readers want to know that such a thing exist not the debate behind it. I have to say maybe his intent for the book was to expose what’s going on in the debate of climate change more so then strictly informing us of climate change.

    ReplyDelete